How hot does a microwave get? Oh sorry! Before asking this question I must have asked how often are you going to use a microwave rather than an oven each day? I guess N number of times.
Microwave is an essential appliance in every kitchen and sometimes it becomes necessary to be aware about your product.
If you are well informed about your product, it would be helpful to you in every way. My curiosity starts after using my product couple of times. As hotness is the basis of every cooking, we must be familiar with this query, “How Hot does a microwave get?”
A microwave will be your best friend especially if you are heating last night leftovers. Actually microwave takes couple of second or minutes to reheat the food as compare to other conventional methods.
The best part about a microwave oven is that it is a Time Saver. Suppose you have to leave for a meeting or an event and you are short of time, a microwave can boil water, tea, or milk or even heat a bowl of some food stuff so quickly.
For basic functions you don’t need to know how hot a microwave get? But of course, if you are cooking something complex you need to know about the Microwave Temperature.
Microwave is a perfect gadget in your kitchen to save your valuable time that you can devote to other household chores it is an electric device performs function of cooking and heating with electromagnetic radiation.
It works within the frquency range of microwave and excite the polar molecules in the food to produce thermal energy. Food with high-water content is cooked relatively fast due to fast and efficient movement of molecules.
As you all are familiar with the term MICROWAVE OVEN and its importance in our life, now you should know the answer to question, “how hot does a microwave get?”
Before you know how hot is microwave, you must know about the WATTAGE of your microwave oven. They are closely dependent on each other. Wattage of a microwave oven decides the time of cooking of a particular dish. Time taken and wattage are inversely proportional to each other. If wattage is more, time required to cook food would be less and vice versa.
More wattage = less cooking time
Microwave is constituted with wattage between 700w to 1200w on an average. Any basic model used in our home is comprised of wattage between these two numbers.
This is the basis of cooking time and most of the recipes that are cooked in a microwave. An average oven temperature of 350 degrees would be equal to 700watt microwave oven.
For more deataled analysis, you can refer table below:
700 watts is equal to 350 degrees
800 watts is equal to 450 degrees
900 watts is equal to 525 degrees
1000 watts is equal to 575 degrees
1100 watts is equal to 625 degrees
People generally don’t know the wattage of their microwave oven, so they are not able to figure out the time required to cook a particular dish.
If you are curious to know your microwave’s wattage, just look at the back of the oven, inside the door or underneath the oven.
For each 100 watts your microwave is over the average of 700, you should decrease EITHER the cooking TIME or POWER LEVEL by 10%
A cup of water would take ONE minute to boil in 700watts of microwave whereas it would take only 45-50second in 1200watts microwave.
COOKING TIPS IN MICROWAVE OVEN
don’t get hung up about timings
- The power levels available in microwave magnetrons vary greatly from around 600 watts in low power ovens, all the way up to 1300 watts for some Panasonic microwaves. So microwave cooking times are necessarily imprecise. Use the timings in microwave cooking recipes as a guide only, and use your judgment.
vegetables often cook in their own liquids
- Vegetables and fish cook fantastically, retaining all the juices which are normally lost when these types of foods are boiled or simmered. Frequently, the water left clinging to the leaves of fresh green vegetables is enough to steam them.
forget about browning
- The air in a microwave is not directly heated. The heat generation takes place inside the food. So the air outside the food does not get to a high enough temperature to start the complex chemical processes we talked about earlier, caramelizing and browning.
Of course, this does not apply to convection microwave cooking, where you get the best of both worlds, browning and microwave cooking.
reduce the power
- Thick foods do not cook instantly. The heat is generated only in the first 1⁄2” to 1″ from the outside. Deeper than this and the microwaves have been fully absorbed. So heat needs to travel to the center of the food in order to cook right the way through. For thick portions, one of the best microwave cooking tips is to reduce the microwave power down to 50%, and then to cook everything for longer to compensate.
beware of hard skinned food types
- As the water temperature rises, the build up of steam creates pressure. If the outer skin of the food does not allow the pressure to reduce, eventually the build up causes a rupture of the outside shell. Eggs in shells and hard skin vegetables like squashes explode.
It is very messy!
How does your microwave work when it becomes too hot
Microwave doesn’t have heating elements like regular ovens, so no real highest temperature a microwave can reach. Moreover heat is produced by the food and not by the device. Due to presence of moisture in food stuff, temperature in food can reach upto 100 degrees (212 F).
Still if due to some technical faults, a microwave gets too hot, there must be some of the safety features that you can follow should be included in your manual which you should have. If you didn’t keep the manual then you can usually go on the manufacturer’s website and download a new one.
Microwave is inbuilt with Auto-Shutt-off function that will activate itself if a microwave gets too hot. This will also protect microwave so as not to lead any technical or mechanical failure.
If the Microwave is overheating and shutting itself down, this is caused by high voltage parts inside the unit getting too hot leading the thermal cut-out switch to be activated as a safe feature to prevent further overheating.
After the unit has cooled down the thermal cut-out switch will reset automatically and the Microwave will proceed to function as per normal.
To avoid unnecessary overheating please make sure there is adequate ventilation for your microwave oven by leaving at least 10cm of space behind and on the sides of the oven and at least 20cm of space on top.
Hope you got an idea about how microwave oven works and on what features it depends on for power. Microwave oven depends on wattage for its functioning. Wattage controls the time required to cook food in oven. Make sure you cook food with proper timings aligned with wattage.
Last but not least, though auto safety feature is inbuilt in oven, you should also comply with so tips or rules given.
Also Read : Microwave Oven Inbuilt
Kindly share your opinion regarding this article !